1997 Force 120 HP Outboard Question - Good/Bad?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Lowe

Reaction score
I am looking at a 1996 Nitro 170TF which has a 1997 Force 120 Hp outboard on it. Have no experience or knowledge of these motors but have seem negative reviews while searching. Need info.

already replied to your other post. Don't worry about it, just like any used motor, check it out. I've owned 2 force 40 motors and yeah parts sometimes on certain things were NA (not available) but it wasn't too critical. Even got another 40 force for free when that guy wanted a new motor - he removed the lower unit so all I got was the upper portion which I used to steal parts from and still sold it as is for 100.

I had a 75 Force on my Astro, I never had any issues. It always fired up on the first bump or two in the summer, then a little longer in the winter months. But it all depends on how well the engine was taken care of in the past.

Sorry to be so late with this opinion, but I had a 75 Tracker (rebranded Force) on a 170TF. It was a very reliable motor for the several years that I owned the boat. Solid, low tech motors.

Force was the last evolution of the Scott/Atwater... Chrysler outboard engines. By 1997 the design was a basic two stroke with Mercury (the then owner) electronic ignition. I had a 35hp Force electric start tiller on my 15' Sylvan... reliable and simple to maintain. When the emissions regs required new engineering Mercury saw no reason to design and compete against themselves and ended production.

There you go showing your age Meyer!!:p

What really shows my age is that my first boat was a 1956 16' Larson V bow with a 1956 Johnson 10hp bought new for me by may Dad as an Easter present. He gave me that boat and motor with 20 commercial fishing tags (for nets, traps, baskets, trot lines) and instructions to go and earn some money catching catfish.

Well I have a 1999 120hp tracker/force. other than some of the same issues any motor can have such as starter, carbs and choke. I have put very little in my old motor. Stilll pushes 122#comp in all 4 cylinders. The only thing that worries me is the fact it is not agood peeeeing motor. But it never runs hot. Still pushes my Nitro185 at 44 on speedo and 46 on gps.

Change or have the water pump changed if it's not peeing good, better safe than sorry. I change mine out every couple years to be on the safe side.

Latest posts

Back