1995 Nitro 170-DC Tracker - Loud beep when I turn the key

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimB77

Reaction score
When I turn the key one click, before engaging the starter, I get a loud beep. Then, when I turn a second click, the engine will turn over and eventually start. What is the meaning of that beep? Thanks.

When I turn the key one click, before engaging the starter, I get a loud beep. Then, when I turn a second click, the engine will turn over and eventually start. What is the meaning of that beep? Thanks.
I recall reading somewhere that the 1st beep when you turn the key is a test letting you know the system is working. Not sure if that is true, but it makes sense.

I have a 1994 150, but it never beeps, and I can't find a horn. I think a previous owner pulled it when they removed the oil injection system. Does anyone know if I can put a warning horn in and bypass the oil injection system, but get warnings from the other systems? Thanks.

So what motor is on the rig? It's probably a system checking type announcement or possible warning. Typically, if it's a computerized start monitoring system, none of this stuff can be easily bypassed. I rigged my 2002 Nitro 288 Sport with a 2000 Evinrude Ficht, some say it's the worst motor ever, but I love the way she purrs, screams, and FLYS! She's loaded with warning circuitry, none of which is tamperable.

JimB77,

Yes, the Fitch fuel system basically was the beginning of the end for Evinrude. Those engines had a ton of recalls for major upgrades and changes on the engine to keep them alive. If yours got the proper recall work done as recalls came out- and were worked, you may be ok. The Fitch system does have a well deserved bad reputation.. I hope it works for you....
The single loud beep when you turn on the ignitioni switch is to let you know that the system and the beep indicator is functional on the engine.

JimB77,

Yes, the Fitch fuel system basically was the beginning of the end for Evinrude. Those engines had a ton of recalls for major upgrades and changes on the engine to keep them alive. If yours got the proper recall work done as recalls came out- and were worked, you may be ok. The Fitch system does have a well deserved bad reputation.. I hope it works for you....
The single loud beep when you turn on the ignition switch is to let you know that the system and the beep indicator is functional on the engine.
Righto! don't I know all about it, mostly hogwash spread by tinkerers and badly trained techs.:mad: I specialize in fixin em' and know this model year like the back of my hand.;) You've got to be an ace with electronics and NOT a parts changer type!:cool: The major issue that nailed their coffin was the recall for injector bolts that went mostly ignored by the so named class of folks stated above and of course the overheated EMM's caused by lack of or poor maintenance, overcharging, battery issues and the like.🤔 The engineers really never anticipated having to make the motor's idiot proof with external safeties to protect the on-board circuitry.:eek:

Latest posts

Back