1994 Nitro 170 Dc Won't Plane

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taylor Hagen

Reaction score
Hey guys I've posted on a couple sites and am still looking for help, I just bought my first bass boat and I'm having a problem with it getting on plane. It's a 1994 Nitro 170 DC Rick Clunn Edition with 115 hp Evinrude, I got a hell of a deal on it so I felt like it was time to pull the trigger. We've had it on the water twice now, both times having the same issue. We had the throttle full bore and it just kept plowing through the water. Eventually it did plane out, but not until it mulled through the water for a minute or two. I noticed that it would get up out of the water quicker if we'd put her in a turn, or if we started to catch a little chop in the water. It would also plane if one of us sat on the bow. We've had the ear muffs on it out of the water, and that engine will flat out run, great response, and sounds good. On the water the engine hangs up at 2500 rpm until it gets on plane, where it gets up to 4000 rpm, before settling back in around 3000. Carbs have been rebuilt and all new plugs. Compression test was also done, I'm not sure about a trickle down test. I have a raker 13.5 x 20 prop on it. I'm just wondering if you guys have any suggestions? I've read or been suggested a different prop, lowering the motor on the transom (mine is on the top holes), power pack issue, timing issue in the motor, or I have a prop cavitation. A guy on another forum said he had a similar problem with the same engine and said the pistons were eating rings. My father and I are both at a loss, he's owned multiple boats in his day, but they were all inboard ski boats, never an outboard with a 2 stroke. Thanks in advance!

I had a 96 170 DC with115hp, I would slowly increase the throttle to get on plane. If I nailed the throttle it would over spin the prop and would be horrible getting on plane. By slowly increasing the throttle greatly increased getting on plane. Basically i had to much motor for the boat.

Try trimming the motor down then go full throttle until it planes out then trim your motor up. Look back at the motor and trim up until you a the water rooster tailing as high as you can get it.

What pitch prop do you have on there currently? 3 blade or 4 blade?

13.5 x20 is probably to much pitch you could probably drop down to a 17 pitch and get much better performance. Do you have any spare props to tryout

My old 93 DC with a 90 Evinrude planed just fine. I'd guess it's the prop. See if you can find a dealer who will let you try different props. I can't remember what pitch I had but I tach out at 5500rpms. 4000 is way too low. I'd say over propped.

Latest posts

Back