189 Sport Upgrades

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Scrooge

Reaction score
I have a 2005 189 Sport that was long overdue for some upgrades and I had requests from some of you asking how they went, so here they are:
This is also a family boat so I struggle with everything I do needs to be removeable or nearly hidden when the family is with me.
1. Remove old TM and replace with MK Terrova 80lb thrust this was the toughest, it required fabricating an aluminum plate to mount to plus I added a MK Quick Disconnect to that plate, had the holes tapped when I mounted the plate. I was very surprised The 189 already had 6AWG wire so I didn't need to add new wire just the 60amp breaker MK recommends.
2. I mainly bass fish but at least twice a year I troll for stripers so the next steps was to make some trolling rigs, again they need to be removeable for family and bass fishing trips, 1-1/2 inch PVC did the trick I mounted the rear over the seat post and the front over the homemade front deck extension (more on that in a minute) I have had a lot of people ask if the PVC will hold up to a big striper. Where I fish the limit is 36 inches in March so my answer is I hope we find out, have some safety lines for this first trip just in case
3. 3 bank charger
4. USB Port to keep the cell phone charged this will be especially helpful when listening to music with the family or dare I say boat trouble
5. New Speakers seems dumb but the old ones were cracked and when family sat on those side seats they got a scratched by the broken plastic, heck I don't even use the radio in the boat all the music comes through my cell phone but it's nice to know could if I wanted to.
6. New deck extension, this is still being worked on. I will have 2. One that permanently has the front trolling rig attached it can be removed and I can put the family/bass fishing version in. I found out I can fit 5 - 3700 Plano's under here so I am making a hatch to open and still need paint/carpet and I will add a step to the front to make access easier.

Almost forgot, I also fabricated a Trolling motor stabilizer arm from Schedule 80 PVC, it is threaded so the arm is removeable and all that is left is the 3 1/2 inch flange on the deck. Plus new tires on the trailer. Last order of business for this season is the name: Ebeneezer Scrooge There is a lot of history here and much of the upgrades were made in the hopes that "Big Scrooges" days of being my fishing partner are not behind him just yet.
Now if I could just get rid of this hard water around here!

Attachments

• Quick mount.JPG
    Quick mount.JPG
    76.8 KB · Views: 47
  • TM.JPG
    TM.JPG
    159.8 KB · Views: 49
  • Front Trolling Gear.jpg
    Front Trolling Gear.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 44
  • Rear Trolling Gear.jpg
    Rear Trolling Gear.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 44
  • Charger.jpg
    Charger.jpg
    264.4 KB · Views: 46
  • USB Port.jpg
    USB Port.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 45
  • New Speakers.jpg
    New Speakers.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 52
  • New Deck.jpg
    New Deck.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 51
  • TM Stabilizer.jpg
    TM Stabilizer.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 51
I did something similar on the rod holders for trolling. You will need to run an adjustable strap back to each one of the tie cleats to prevent it turning and twisting. Different lures, bait sizes, etc will pull differently in water.

Mike

Nice work!! I did the deck extension and found I needed straps to get the compartments open.. posted photos

Hit send before I was done....posted photos on here this past summer. In my 189, where you step down from the extension the floor is squishy. It's not
designed to take that load like the floor being covered. I need to put something there to stabilize.Love the usb, that may be next.
Jim

Great looking upgrades. How hard was adding the aluminum plate to mount the trolling motor? I just bout an Ultrex last week that's still in the box that I want to get added. I think I should be able to so something similar to you as I bought the quick disconnect as well. I've been waiting for snow to melt here in Texas to get out to the garage and work on it. Any details you could share would be awesome!

I did something similar on the rod holders for trolling. You will need to run an adjustable strap back to each one of the tie cleats to prevent it turning and twisting. Different lures, bait sizes, etc will pull differently in water.

Mike
Mike I was wondering about the straps, I was thinking I needed them thanks for confirming first trip is in 3 weeks so I will get them done before then

Hit send before I was done....posted photos on here this past summer. In my 189, where you step down from the extension the floor is squishy. It's not
designed to take that load like the floor being covered. I need to put something there to stabilize.Love the usb, that may be next.
Jim
Jim- I have the material for the straps to open the compartments just haven't gotten to it yet. had some other Honey-Do projects to get too. Not ashamed to say the USB was HER idea and it was brilliant

Great looking upgrades. How hard was adding the aluminum plate to mount the trolling motor? I just bout an Ultrex last week that's still in the box that I want to get added. I think I should be able to so something similar to you as I bought the quick disconnect as well. I've been waiting for snow to melt here in Texas to get out to the garage and work on it. Any details you could share would be awesome!
The plate was not hard at all, mine had an aluminum plate on there to begin with I just needed it bigger both wider and longer so I contacted a shop to have it fabricated to my specs, wasn't cheap but it is very stout and I feel like if I upgrade to an ultrex in a few years I have a nearly blank slate to do it keeping the same plate. I negotiated with my fabricator on price there was a little wiggle room there

I have a 97 185 sport. I was able to completely remove the Motorguide tm mount and fit the minnkota quick release in its place. What size marine board did you use for the deck extension? That is my next addition.

Attachments

• 2DEEE359-9F51-47A0-83B1-9ABE85A45978.jpeg
    2DEEE359-9F51-47A0-83B1-9ABE85A45978.jpeg
    135 KB · Views: 0
  • 67DFF08E-CD83-4736-843A-C8E972C73675.jpeg
    67DFF08E-CD83-4736-843A-C8E972C73675.jpeg
    130.4 KB · Views: 0
I have a 97 185 sport. I was able to completely remove the Motorguide tm mount and fit the minnkota quick release in its place. What size marine board did you use for the deck extension? That is my next addition.
Hi Josh
Deck extension was 3/4" Marine

Latest posts

Back