170 DC fuel tank vent

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin Lavely2

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to these forums, so I figured I'd start with an easy question. On my 1996 170 DC, the built in fuel tank has a snap-on fill cap. I'm confused about where the tank is vented. There is a long rubber hose that runs from the top of the tank to the area where the fill cap is. Is this the vent? If not, where is the vent?

I'm used to small portable tanks so this may be a dumb question.

Welcome and it's not a dumb question at all. Your tank on that model is vented at the cap. That's where the hose that you referred to is going. Working properly, as you fill your tank you'll probably notice a light "hiss" coming from the cap during the process. It's allowing the displaced air to escape upon filling and the expanded vapor fumes to escape during normal use. This style was incorporated to make the "burping" during a fuel fill less problematic and is one of the better fill systems I've experienced. The key to keeping a fuel fill splashback free with this system is to maintain your fill flow at a rate similar to or less than the vented rate. By doing this, you'll keep your gas in the tank and not on you. Good luck and welcome again! ;)

Thanks for the reply Dan J. A follow up question: how does the tank vent when the cap is on and the boat is in use. I ask because I experience a fuel flow problem last weekend where the motor was stalling out just before reaching planing power. I assumed it was a fuel delivery issue because the primer bulb kept going soft. I bought a new fuel line and bulb, but I'm also wondering of the tank is venting properly.

If your bulb kept going soft, your replacement most likely solved the stalling issue you're experiencing. The vent is a very simple one. The line going to the cap neck allows pressurized fumes from the tank top to escape at the neck, above the fuel level. Although the cap is on, it is not a completely "closed" system. The vent line allows the pressure to escape as well as regulating air on the fill up. Your fuel pickup is on the tank bottom (really close to it) and once primed, your fuel pump continues delivery to your intake and delivery system. (carb, EFI, DFI) When the bulb goes bad it is usually the one way purge valve inside that plugs up or collapses and fails. It's a very good idea to keep a spare bulb in your "necessity bag" (or box) kept in the boat with spare plugs, duct tape, WD-40, fuses, etc. (Ask for Kneeley's list. :D ) Good luck and take some time and search around the site with the search key at the top. You'll be amazed at the topics covered and problems solved by the wealth of great souls on this site. Always feel free to ask, also. Again, Welcome! ;)

got the same set up as you and have had no problem with the vent. You won't spill over thru the vent.A note , if you garage your boat like I do you will always smell a little gas fume in the garage!

You got yourself a breat rig, enjoy and good fishing.:D

Ron

I have the same boat as you, still learning the in's and out's of it but enjoying it just the same, had it for a couple of months. Maybe I can learn from your questions.:)

Hey Ron and Terry,

I couldn't agree more. They are great rigs. I wonder if you guys have also noticed the way the bow slants toward the water. It makes my trolling motor shaft angle a little off, but it still seems to work ok. I wonder is the newer trolling motor brackets have adjustments for this. I currently have a 55 lb minn kota edge.

Justin

I repowered this year with a 90MERC,destroying my lower end doing battle with a large rock,PS they always win!

While repowering I up-dated my trolling motor with a 54 motor Guide.I have not found any problem with shaft position. I have had this rig for 4yrs. and love the boat.Just my wife and I so its the perfect size for us.Most of our water here in Mass. is under 1250 acres so the 170DC RickClunn edition fits my style just perfect. Any questions I can help with just ask away. GREAT bunch of guys and gals here and can answer any question.

Best of Luck and good fishing

Ron

Can anyone tell me what size the fuel tank on a 1994 170DC Rick Clunn edition is?
Thank you very much,
Kevin

I have a '94 170DC but it's not a Rick Clunn edition. I believe my main tank is 34 gallon and the reserve is 20 or 24 gallon. It's already in winter storage so I'm not completely sure, but I remember the combined capacity is well over 50 gallons.

Latest posts

Back