150 XR6 PROP QUESTION...ANYONE !!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul white2

Reaction score
I MAY HAVE A PROBLEM AND I KNOW SO MANY PEOPLE KNOW THE ANSWER TO. I HAVE A 2005 NX882 NITRO WITH AN XR6 150 MERCURY ON IT. OK, IT HAS A TEMPEST SS PROP ON IT, AND THE PROP IS A 23 PITCH. THE BOAT COMES OUT OF THE HOLE SLOW !! I HAVE CHANGED PROPS ON MOTORS BEFORE AND I KNOW ALL BOUT THE LOWERING THE PITCH, ETC....I WENT TO A SITE I HAVE AND TYPED IN THE TYPE OF BOAT, WEIGHT, LENGTH, ETC. FOR THE MOTOR AND BOAT AND IT CALLED FOR A 17 OR 19 PITCH PROP. IS THE 23 PITCH LIKELY MY PROBLEM.....AGAIN !! WHAT PITCH WOULD BE THE BEST FOR AN 18 FT NITRO WITH A 150 MERCURY?? I KNOW THE LESS THE PITCH THE FASTER HOLESHOT, BUT I GUESS YOU CAN DROP TOO MUCH TOO, AND A SS PROP IS AN EXPENSIVE AMOUNT TO GUESS AT, SO IF ANYBODY KNOWS PLEASE TELL ME. ALSO, IT DON'T HAVE A HYDROFOIL STABILIZER ON IT EITHER, BUT IT'S MORE OF A PROB THAN THAT, MY OTHER BOAT BEFORE DIDNT HAVE A STABILIZER EITHER AND IT WAS LIKE A SLING SHOT !!! ANY SUGGESTIONS ON THE RIGHT PITCH PROP WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED......THNXXXX.....PAUL

That is the correct pitch and the correct prop. Can you define slow? The 882 is a very stern heavy boat and it will never be a rocketship out of the hole esp with a full tank of fuel and water in the wells. you can make it a lot better but its never going to have an instant holeshot. If its truly slow there is something else wrong with the setup and more info is needed.

Can you answer these questions?

What is the prop to pad distance?

How exactly are you taking off, please describe trim position how much throttle etc.

what are the rpm's when you mash the throttle on takeoff?

how many and what size pvs plugs are in the prop currently?

what is the condition of the prop? dings dents etc..

do you have trim extenders installed?

is the jackplate the stock 8" fxed plate or aftermarket?

how much fuel do you generally run?

where do you store your gear?

When i had my 882 my average holeshot by myself was 3 seconds maybe, it took some tweaking to get there and i did not have a hydrofoil(i refuse to use one as they are a bandaid for a bad setup)

ps please turn off caps lock, its akin to yelling on the internet.

I have this exact setup and my boat gets on plane very fast. Holeshot is very good on it. I am with Jim here. It takes about 3 to 5 seconds and boat is on plane. I say either your prop has a bent blade or there may be some motor issues.

I have the exact same set up om my 18 1/2 ft Champion and it works great.

BF

LOVE MINE TOO TRAVIS !! THNXX GUYS FOR ALL THE RESPONSES, APPARANTLY I DONT KNOW MUCH BOUT THE PROPS AS I THOUGHT. JIM, WHAT ARE PVS PLUGS ?? AND WHAT DOES PROP TO PAD DISTANCE MEAN ? I TAKE OFF WITH TRIM ALL THE WAY DOWN. AND, IT HAS A FIXED POSITION JACKPLATE ON IT, I DIDNT KNOW THESE BOATS CAME WITH A JACKPLATE !! SO, I'D SAY IT'S THE FACTORY ONE. SO YOURE SAYING TO DROP THE PITCH TO LIKE A 19 IS WRONG ?? THE LAST TIME I RAN IT, IT HAD BOUT 1/2 TANK GAS, NO WATER IN WELL, AND HARDLY ANY GEAR, AND JUST ME IN BOAT, SO IT MAY AS WELL HAVE BEEN EMPTY !! NOW IM WORRIED. YOU SAY "MOTOR ISSUES" OMG WHAT COULD BE WRONG?? I BOUGHT BOAT USED AND IT'S LIKE NEW !! NOT 1 SCRATCH ON IT. MOTOR STARTS, RUNS LIKE A TOP. AND YOU SAY THE HYDROFOIL IS A MISTAKE, WHY IS THAT ?? YOU SAID BAND AID FOR A BAD SET UP. I DONT LIKE THE WAY THEY LOOK EITHER, BUT IF IT HELPS. IT'S JUST THAT DAD HAS A RANGER 17 FT W/115HP ENGINE....IT JUMPS OUT THE HOLE LIKE A FROG !! HARDLY ANY BOW RISE AT ALL, MINE RAISES ALL THE WAY UP LOOKING AT THE SUN !! IT JUST SEEMS IT SHOULD COME OUT OF THE HOLE FASTER TO ME IS ALL, AND DAD SAYS SAME THING. I MEAN IT RISES UP TO WHERE YOU'RE LOOKING AT THE SKY AND IT TAKES ABOUT 5 SECS TO GET THERE. I JUST FIGURED WITH A 150 IT SHUD COME OUT ALOT QUICKER. I'VE HAD 2 OTHER BOATS AND DROPPED THE PITCH AND IT HELPED DRASTICALLY ON BOTH. LIKE I SAID WHEN I WENT TO THE SITE AND TYPED IN MY MODEL, WEIGHT, LENGTH, HP, ETC. IT CALLED FOR A 17 OR 19 PITCH PROP, THAT'S WHY I ASKED. BUT THE PVS PLUGS, PAD TO PROP DISTANCE I KNOW NUTIN BOUT, PLEASE EXPLAIN WHEN YOU GET TIME. BUT, YOU SAY THE TEMPEST 23 PITCH PROP IS THE RIGHT 1 TO HAVE?? AND OH YEAH, HOW FAST(ESTIMATE) SHOULD THIS BOAT GO ON TOP END TRIMMED UP ?? THIS 1 GOES SUMWHERE ROUND 60 MPH. BUT PLEASE EXPLAIN ALL THIS TO ME CUZ I NEED TO KNOW IT APPARANTELY !! LET ME KNOW FOR SURE ABOUT THE HYDROFOIL BEIN A BAD IDEA TOO OK. THNXXX ALOT GUYS FOR THE RESPONSES, THIS HAS ALWAYS BEEN A VERY NICE AND KNOWLEDGEABLE SITE TO GO TO I KNOW THAT ......PAUL

I have the same set up as well. I did put a hydrofoil on mine and it made a big difference. Not saying that it isn't a band aid, but it did make a huge difference. The best speed I can get out of mine is 61 on the GPS.

As a reminder TURN YOUR CAPS LOCK OFF!!:D When you trim down do you go to where it stops or where it is vertical? I'd wager money you are not trimmed down all the way. Your motor will go down and then hit the pushrods and will continue.....slowly....until it tucks up under the transom. Do you give it full throttle at takeoff? I mean WFO? Take it easy, we'll help you figure it out.

TOXIC

yes the motor is all the way down. actually with the jackplate on it, it looks like the motor is almost tucked up under the boat...lol....i'd say almost all the throttle at take off i think. i may be overreactin but i just thought that the 150 should make it take off faster, but i guess it's a bit heavier than the ranger i was talkin bout, but the ranger also has a smaller motor too, so i dunno

Paul,

The 19" is not even close to enough prop for that boat. You will get zero speed out of it and will never be able to go wide open with full trim. The prop to pad measurement should have read propshaft to pad. That measurement is the distance between the propshaft and the pad when the motor is trimmed level. Its easy to measure, on flat ground measure the distance from the ground to the bottom of the hull, then trim the motor so its level and measure from the ground to the center of the propshaft. subtract the small measurement form the big one and that will give you the measurement. The 882 likes between 2.5" and 3" any lower then 3 and the holeshot will be dreadful.

PVS plugs are the little plastic plugs that are behind the blades on the prop. They come in many sizes to tune the holeshot. You should have three of the large sized ones in there ~3/8" of an inch hole. If there are no plugs go to a merc dealer and get some. see the link i included for more info on pvs.

i have more questions, you answered some but i have another.

It sounds like you have the stock jackplate and thats a good thing. My questions relates to where the motor is bolted to the plate. Can you tell me what holes its bolted to? or better jet take a picture? the correct position is the bottom hole on the motor and the bottom holes on the plate. That will give you a 3" propshaft to pad measurement.

The motor height is where we need to start. Thats get that bugged out and we can work from there.

The 23 tempest is the 100% correct prop for this boat, and a big no on the hydrofoil it is not needed. I don't care what anyone says about them every boat i have even driven with one on it the ride, speed and handling was effected by the foil. 60-62 is in the top speed range for this hull with a 150 on it. Did you happen to notice how many RPM you are turning at takeoff and wide open?

No matter what you do there will always be some bow rise on these hulls, its the way it is. Its tough to compare the holeshot to a Ranger because the hull is very different, rangers are always quick out of the hole but they don't have the same lift and ride that a Nitro has.

http://www.mercurymarine.com/propellers/advantage/technologies/pvs/

You need to be sure that applying throttle actually is using the maximum mechanical advantage that is available- if that makes any sense. You could be attempting full throttle and your linkage isn't applying all thats available due to improper setup for maximum throttle. I'll add this again as well the SE 300 Hydro foil is the best improvement I ever made on two big boats including my latest 2017 Z-18 with the 150 four. Absolutely no negatives with that addition and on plane shortly at 3000-3500RPM no matter the conditons or load.

Latest posts

Back