150 optimax carbon build up

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boater633

Reaction score
Hi all, I winterized my motor today, a 2012 150 optimax. I pulled the plugs and it there was quite a bit of carbon on the plugs. I had a dealer winterize it last year so I don't know what they looked like. I don't think they did either as the plugs looked like they were never removed. I didn't do anything with the plugs as the engine runs great. Anyway, is this normal? Should I start putting quickleen in the tank from now on? Thanks

I would along with quickcare during normal operation, and quickstor for winterizing

You should be treating every tank of gas you run through your motor. Here is the suggested mix from a very trusted Mercury mechanic:

Fuel Additive Recommendations:-Stabilize fuel ANYTIME fuel will not be consumed and replaced within 15 days!!!
-Optis (ALL, including XS & ProXS): Quickleen in EVERY TANK OF FUEL. You CAN combine Mercury QuickCare or QuickStor Fuel System Treatment & Stabilizer (or Sea-Foam if you prefer it) with Quickleen. Use the recommended "dose" of each product per the bottle instructions. For anyone questioning Quickleen recommendation- see Service Bulletin 2001-12 (yes, it's been recommended since 2001!!!).
-Quickleen may be used in ANY Mercury engine- it helps to prevent/remove carbon buildup (primary purpose).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Mercury Component Cocktail" (Chemically, this works much the same as the below mentioned cocktail, and requires less components.) This is Don's Preferred "Cocktail":

-1oz Mercury QuickCare per 5 gallons fuel
-1oz Mercury Quickleen per 5 gallons fuel
(If leaving fuel in boat for more than 30 days, be sure to also add Mercury QuickStor).
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Alternate Cocktail" (IMO, this combination results in clean injectors, direct injectors and spark plugs):

-1oz Marine Stabil or Mercury QuickCare per 6 gallons fuel
-1oz Quickleen per 6 gallons fuel
-1-2oz SeaFoam per 6 gallons fuel

I never knew that. I think they just put in Stabil for the winter. Would it say on the billing sheet what they did to the engine. I have nearly a full tank(40 gallons) as my last trip to South Dakota got busted by the weather and I left the gas in the tank. Normally 200 miles of running in a weekend would have taken care of the fuel.
fatrap

Stabil makes a storage blend too. Keeping the tank full reduces the risk of condensation.

Plastic tanks don't have as much condensation so I treat the heck out of my tanks and alternate which tank I use to keep the fuel fresh. Of course I fish all winter.

Latest posts

Back