1000 or 2500 Reel Size:

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buzz Bouvier

Reaction score
I used a Shimano 2500 on my St.Croix dropshot rod last year. This year I got a Shimano 1000, and I was thinking of putting the 1000 on the dropshot rod due to the lightness of it but have heard that the smaller reels won't hold up to dropshoting. Any thoughts if this is true? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Buzz

Hmmm.... considering you are using a $500 spinning reel, I would expect it to "hold up". If not, I'd be highly ticked. The smallest spinning reel I own is a 25 series (in Pflueger (6725), which is smaller than the 1000 series Stella you are talking about. The only thing I use that one for is skipping small soft plastics up under docks on a 5'9" rod. I find it too small for most of my worm fishing. My normal spinning reels, including the one I use for drop shot fishing, is a 6735 Pflueger President, and that one holds 145 yards of 8lb test - kind of in between your 1000 and 2500 series Stellas. I think that is the smallest I'd use for drop shot fishing, simply because it "feels" right.

All the best,

Glenn

Glenn - I use the 6730 mostly (I have 6) and find it the best all around size reel for me. I received a 25 as a gift and took it back as I found it too small. The 35s are nice (I have 3) but as I have small hands (may be the only part of my body that is small - LOL) I find thos just a tad too big. Love those Presidents and got three more for Christmas.

I think they are junk, you should send them to me right away!

Just kidding....

The only problem I see is the smaller spool diameter and flourocarbon line. I use a 40 (4000 in Shimano) for anything to do with flourocarbon.

This year I will be ordering a couple of the new spinning reels from BPS. LARGE dia spool = less flourocarbon headaches.

Mini

Latest posts

Back